The logo for We Be Healthy,
my business, is a photo of a drop of water falling and creating a ripple. It is beautiful and serene. Is that why I chose it? Yes, and no. I chose this design because of it’s overall beauty. I also wanted the color to be green, which translates to a feeling of health and growth. I chose it for the water element, which also exudes health and fluidity. Finally I chose it for the ripple effect, which represents movement, growth, and change. This is a very powerful concept, that something so small can influence everything around it to move and change. This has become a metaphor for my life, my journey to heal and Be Healthy.
If someone makes one seemingly small change in their life to be healthier, it creates a ripple effect at the cellular level which slowly effects their entire body. As they make more changes, the effects begin to multiply in intensity. What once was so tiny and imperceptible…can now be felt in the body and seen by others.
As someone begins a healthy lifestyle the ripple effect is felt by their family, children, spouses, relatives, friends and coworkers. They begin to influence everyone around them. These changes also begin to multiply in intensity, eventually changing Cities and States, Continents and yes…even the World.
The initial cause of a ripple might not even seem like a positive one. In my case, a couple of years ago, as a result of a severe car accident, I decided I wanted to make positive changes in my life. I wanted to heal and Be Healthy. This was the birth of my business We Be Healthy. The beginning of my passion for helping others heal and Be Healthy. Looking back now I am grateful for this event that propelled me toward personal growth, health and the passion for helping others. I am still on my healing journey, but now I am taking others along with me.
Here are some of the changes I made:
- Quit Smoking — I knew that if my accident didn’t get me to quit smoking, nothing would. I had 5 days in the hospital without smoking as a head-start, so I just decided that I was done. Many people aren’t able to quit “cold turkey”, but it worked for me. You have to be ready and have a reason to quit and this was the first time I was really ready and I definitely had a reason to quit. When you decide you are done smoking, you will be done.
- Started Taking Supplements — The right diet is essential for good health and to prevent disease. But, even if you eat well it is not possible to get all the nutrients your body needs. You should take high-quality pharmaceutical grade supplements to ensure quality, potency and safety. When I started taking high-quality supplements every day, I could feel the difference, I had more energy and felt amazing.
- Quit Drinking — After being hit by a drunk driver the idea of drinking loses its appeal. My brain shearing caused me to have constant headaches, so you can imagine how I felt the next morning after drinking. I also decided to be a designated driver for my friends and family so they wouldn’t have to live through the experience I did. I will drink on special occasions, but only if I have a safe driver and that doesn’t mean someone who drinks earlier in the night and quits before leaving.
- Lost Weight — I have struggled with my weigh all of my adult life. After my accident I joined Weight Watchers for the third time. I had some success as always, then I hit a plateau, as always. Then I tried Jumpstart 5-Day Carb Cleanse and everything clicked. It is not about will power…it is about your body and how it processes fuel. Once I learned about the Glycemic-Index I knew that I could make the changes needed for it to become a life-style. If you want to release fat, you have to reduce your carbohydrate and sugar intake. I now help others get off the sugar roller coaster.
- Started Exercising — I asked my doctor to write a prescription for a gym membership and my auto insurance covered the expense. I began using the treadmill for just a few minutes at a time. Now I am able to walk at a fast pace on an incline of 5 or 6 for an hour. I also do the elliptical for 30 minutes and sometimes add the weight circuit. The fly machine was especially helpful for (slowly) healing my rotator cuff tear. Working out helped me build up my stamina and endurance, release stress and heal from my injuries. Surprisingly…now I actually enjoy exercise.
- Started Yoga — After my accident I quickly realized that I would have to try many things in addition to traditional medicine if I wanted to recover fully. Now I am so grateful that I started my yoga practice. My muscle strength, flexibility, breathing have all improved and my pain has been reduced. I have a better connection with my body and my soul. I welcome the peacefulness and relaxation that yoga brings. I am calmer than I have ever been.
- Quit Drinking Soda — I was drinking large quantities of diet soda and knew it was adding to my weight. I also learned that you become dehydrated when you drink a caffeinated soda to quench your thirst and you will actually become thirstier. Soda depletes your body of vital minerals and wears away at the enamel of your teeth over time. Artificial sweeteners can interfere with the body’s natural ability to regulate calorie intake and can make people crave more sweets. I started drinking water to improve my skin, my weight loss and my overall health.
- Started Walking 5Ks — I never had any interest in walking anywhere, let alone in a 5K. I decided that I would prove to myself I could do it…now I really like it. It takes under an hour to walk a 5K which is 3.1 miles. I found many 5Ks in my area. Plus, they are usually fundraisers, so my application fees go to help a good cause. I have even convinced my family members to join me in the races. I now compare my times from the previous year and try to beat them. Maybe some day I will run one…who knows what the future will bring.
- Tried JourneyDance — I am not or ever have been a dancer. I do not do things in public and I don’t interact with others…until I challenged myself to take a JourneyDace Class. I can’t begin to explain how far out of my comfort zone this was. JourneyDance mixes yoga flow and free-form movement. It helps you become expressive and release fear, forgive mistakes and make way for your highest intentions. This was a new way for me to release everything I was holding inside and an extremely emotional process. I let everything go, danced and twirled…now I am hooked. Where will your JourneyDance take you? Try something that is way out of your comfort zone, you will find it very liberating.
Hopefully this inspires you to make positive changes in your life too!
Knowing that you ultimately have the power to change the world, what will you change? What will motivate you? What is your passion? What is stopping you? Even one small change in your life could quickly become a tsunami of good!
I am dedicated to supporting you in your journey towards a healthy lifestyle, please Contact Me if you have any questions.
You can find previous We Be Healthy Blog articles HERE.
Please visit me on Facebook HERE and “like” my page if you haven’t already.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below.